Lickin’ the Colonel’s Cream

A review of KFC’s Mini Chocolate Sundae.

I did something extremely good when I visited KFC the other day: I bought a Vegan Burger. Just call me Jamie Oliver. So, because I’d been such an angel, I decided I needed to treat myself with one of the Colonel’s Mini Chocolate Sundaes – which, admittedly, is not vegan at all.

My net contribution to the world was, therefore, zero. Why change the habit of a lifetime?

For 99p though, how could I resist?

I don’t wish to further evoke Greta Thunberg’s rage, but the container that the ice cream was delivered in was the purest of plastic (even more so than Katie Price). The only positive was that there was a massive hole at the top of the container’s lid, meaning that slightly less puffins would likely be murdered as a result.

Obviously, it was a milkshake carton – which likely explains why I was given a straw to consume it. I didn’t try to suck the ice cream through the straw (or my Vegan Burger, for that matter), but it would likely have been easier than trying to drink a McDonald’s milkshake.


As devilish as the plastic may have been, it was heavenly filled to the brim with ice cream; in fact, it was literally overflowing.

The sundae itself was a simple combination of vanilla flavoured ice cream and chocolate sauce.

For once, the vanilla actually had a distinctive taste, rather than simply the cold water flavour that is usually provided in mass produced confectionary. The chocolate sauce was thick and of apparent good quality too, as well as being in plentiful supply.

Inevitably, much like the ice caps that its manufacture helped to destroy, there was some melting. This essentially turned part of the sundae into a chilled creamy chocolate milkshake, which was probably an even nicer result than the solidified ice cream. Having said that, its structure was maintained for a good period of time so there should be no risk of it turning to slush during a short transport from takeaway to destination (unless you happen to travel through an inferno).

KFC’s Mini Chocolate Sundae was a surprisingly impressive yet simple treat for a staggeringly low price. For top marks it would needed something different to serve as a little extra, perhaps mint or even just a wafer. It was an amazing undertaking, but it’s just not quite special enough to make me want to seek it out in the future.

Final review rating: definitely better than their chips – a very high 4* out of 5.


Review by JAMES LEWIS
Wanderer, wonderer and editor of the Chocolate Dissection blog (which will ideally melt hearts rather than brains). Reliable with sarcasm, less so with a scalpel. Twitter: @IdeasJimbound


Return to homepage and read more reviews.

Comments